“Let them praise the name of the LORD, for He commanded and they were created…Let them praise the name of the LORD, for His name alone is exalted; His glory is above the earth and heaven” (Ps 148:5,13).
Creation of Heaven and Earth
- See outline, Has Science Discredited the Bible?, Brian Sandifer
Common Aspects of All Genesis Creation Theories
- God created ex nihilo, and it was good (Gen 1:1,31)
- God’s oneness (Gen 1:26)
- God is multiple in His nature (Gen 1:26)
- God is moral and holy (Gen 2:16-17)
- God is sovereign and omnipotent (Gen 1:1-3)
- God is Creator, Man is Creature (Gen 1:1-2,26)
- God created Man in His image and likeness (Gen 1:26-27)
- God created Man to have dominion over the earth (Gen 1:28)
Literal Seven Day Theory
- The historic, traditional Church view
- Seven 24-hour days comprised God’s “creation week.” On the seventh day God rested for another 24-hour day. Hebrew word for “day” (yom) is 24 hours.
- The Hebrew word for “day” (yom) represents a long age of time.
- Relies on the scientific evidence found in geology and astronomy. Thus the age of the earth is probably what modern science tells us (5-7 billion years old).
- There is indeterminate temporal gap between Gen 1:1 (creation) and Gen 1:2 (a cataclysmic judgment, possibly the Fall of Satan).
- Seven 24-hour days comprised God’s “creation week.” On the seventh day God rested for another 24-hour day. The Hebrew word for “day” (yom) is 24 hours.
- This theory has fallen out of Christian scholarly favor because there is no reason to posit a time gap in the text.
- The six days of creation are topical and not chronological. They are meant to teach a theological truth – Sabbath theology (God is the king over all creation).
- It is a literary argument rather than a literal or scientific argument. It seeks to harmonize the creation accounts in Genesis 1 and 2.
- Does not comment on the time period of creation; it can allow for an older age of creation, but it is not necessary.
- The Hebrew word for “day” (yom) has a metaphorical meaning.
- Because it Had Not Rained (Meredith Kline)
- Space and Time in the Genesis Cosmogeny (Meredith Kline)
- Because it Had Rained, Part 1, Part 2 (Mark Futato)
- PCA Creation Committee Report